Flooring Phase II

Starting Phase II of the flooring project. Time to get the living room area ready. Cut up and threw away all of the carpet and padding. Surprisingly, the padding was still in pretty good shape. We had gotten the good rubber padding, not the cheap foam stuff when it was installed and it was still pretty springy when I pulled it up.

One of the harder thing to do was peeling up the engineered flooring that we put in back when we first moved in.  We put down a layer if 1/8″ plywood for a base and then the engineered flooring gets glued down.  That stuff wasn’t coming up easily. Being the smart guy that I am, I came up with a plan to make it easier to get up. I took my 4″ grinder and put a 5″ saw blade on it. Kinda like this one.

Except, since I was using a 5″ blade, there was no guard on mine.  (you see where this is going, don’t ya) I was cutting the flooring in sections, making it easier to peel the glued sections up. I was finished doing all of the cutting, being careful to hold it with both hands at all times and keeping it away from my legs and feet.  I was wearing some of those construction gloves, the kind with the rubber knuckles and finger ribs on the top.  I made the last cut and stood up to turn the grinder/saw off. I got my left hand too close to the blade and it grabbed the rubber part of the glove.  It cut my left index finger and thumb pretty good.  I dropped the saw, made a big gouge in the front door, grabbed hold of my finger and ran to the sink.  I stood there for about 5 minutes just holding compression on it.  I finally settled down enough to take a look.  It was still attached but had a good sized gash across the top of the finger and knuckle.  I think it could have been a lot worse if I hadn’t had the gloves on.  I finally got the glove off and while it didn’t look as bad as it could have been, it definitely needed stitches. Cheryl was amazingly calm during this whole time, and we climbed in the car and took off to emergency.  The worst of it was that the saw had embedded a bunch of the material from the glove into the cut and it took the doctor about 20 minutes of picking and scraping to get all the bits out.  He stitched me up and we went home.  Phase II was postponed for a while.

Here you can see the hallway to the front door, where engineered flooring was.  We’ve got all the carpet up and cleaned the sub-flooring so nothing was sticking up.

One of the first thins I had to do was remove a little half wall that was kind of a room divider.  Here’s an old picture where you can see what I’m talking about behind Jonathan.

It made getting anything large down to the basement nearly impossible.  You had to lift it over the top of the wall to get it through the door.  There was one outlet that I just removed and the wall came out fairly easy.  Here’s the repaired wall afterwards. You can also see where we extended the flooring out of the bedroom.

We’ve had the flooring for a week or so, letting it acclimate to our temps and humidity in the house, recommended by the manufacturer so that it’ll lay nice and flat when we rack everything up.

Carrying the lines from the bedroom, and ensuring the first couple of rows were nice and straight was impoortant to making the lines down the hallway were nice and parallel to the walls.   Straight nailing the first few rows, and cutting around the cement board on the floor for the hearth.

All that effort laying out the lines and and making sure the first rows in the bedroom were straight has paid off.  The sight lines from the front door, down the hallway, are near perfect. We stopped here for the weekend and finished the rest the next weekend, we didn’t have much left to do.

Here’s when we finished the rest of the way across the living room.  I again put some scrap boards down where I stopped to protect the tongue and grooves.  I’ll pull them up when we start Phase III.