Hopewell Rally, Ohio – 2018

Well, my riding season started with a rainy weekend down near Nelsonville, Ohio at the Happy Hills Campground.  On Friday, May 4th, as I meet Dave at Cabella’s camping store, the winds were picking up and we knew there was a chance of storms for the weekend, but we had bailed on this ride last year because of rain.  The riding in that area of Ohio is fantastic, lots of hilly, twisty roads and beautiful farmland, so we really didn’t want to back out this time too.  The winds going down were fierce at times, there were reports of 50mph gusts and it sure felt like it.  We fought the winds most of the way down and it only eased up as we got into the hills and valleys of southern Ohio.  We pulled into camp about 4:30 in the afternoon, and no rain yet so we had time to set up camp in dry weather.

Diner that night was provided by the Southeastern Ohio Beemers, who’ve put on the rally for the fourth year.  It was some great chili that came in a 5 gallon bucket! While we ate chili, it started to rain, and it rained off and on for most of the night.

Saturday morning wasn’t dry, but at least it wasn’t raining either.  The forecasts were showing that another part of the storm was coming through about 2:30-3:00 that afternoon.  We figured we had time for a short ride and get back to camp before we got wet.  That was the plan anyways, as the storm showed up a earlier than predicted, about noon time.  We stopped for lunch and resigned ourselves to getting wet on the ride back. Again, raining most of the day and evening, and throughout the night.

I woke up about 6:30 Sunday morning and it was lightly sprinkling.  The weather was showing that more stormy weather was coming, so I packed up in the rain and tried to beat the storm. I left the campground about 8:00 and it had stopped raining but the road were still wet so I took it easy.  I did manage to stay ahead of the rain and the ride home wasn’t too bad, at least no winds to contend with.

I got home about 4:30, both the bike and I were a mess, lots of dirt and crap from the roads picked up while it was wet, and drying in a thin coating on everything.  Unloaded the trailer and bike, set up the tent to dry out for a couple of days, and took a shower and crashed on the couch.  I was whipped.  I’ve only had the bike out for a couple of weeks of riding, and I think doing this ride, 820 miles, was maybe a little too early for me.  I’ll just have to do more riding to get in better condition.

I didn’t get many pictures, just some of the campgrounds and all the bikes.